It’s no secret the French forward is enjoying Los Angeles, but the Liga MX club says his journey is strictly pleasure, not business
Andre-Pierre Gignac has made no secret that he’s enjoying his offseason vacation, with his current trip taking him to Southern California.
While there, Gignac ran into Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang on the Venice boardwalk and also posted on social media about spending time with his children. Reporters in Mexico, though, believe there is more to Gignac’s trip than simply leisure time.
MedioTiempo reported Tuesday that the LA Galaxy are willing to trigger a $25 million release clause to bring the French forward to MLS.
Tigres president Alejandro Rodriguez said there’s nothing in the report and the club hasn’t received a formal offer for the goal-scorer, who ended the Clausura with eight regular-season goals and added six more in the playoffs.
“He went to visit Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck with his family, but you guys (in the press) keep talking about the teams interested in our players. We’re flattered. So you guys and the fans can be calm, up to now we haven’t received an approach or anything official from anybody for Gignac. We’ve got nothing official from MLS,” Rodriguez told reporters Tuesday in Monterrey.
The president confirmed that Gignac and Brazilian center back Juninho both received permission from the club to extend their downtime while the rest of the club’s players begin their preseason.
Gignac played for France at last year’s Euros, while Juninho hadn’t been back to his home country for two offseasons because of injury recovery and other issues.
The 31-year-old striker is set to report to Tigres on Monday.