Home / Sports / Done Deal?! Bizarre leak hints at Mbappe move

Done Deal?! Bizarre leak hints at Mbappe move

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

MONACO move to bring in new No. 10, Borussia Dortmund quick to replace Ousmane Dembele with Euro star, and Newcastle outcast returns home.

All that and more in this edition of Euro signings news!

MBAPPE REPLACEMENT ALL BUT CONFIRMED

Monaco have completed a deal to sign Montenegro striker Stevan Jovetic and are set to wrap up the transfer of Belgium midfielder Leander Dendoncker from Anderlecht, sources told AFP on Monday.

The 27-year-old Montenegro captain Jovetic, who had a spell on loan at Sevilla last season from Inter Milan, is set to take the number 10 shirt worn up to now by Kylian Mbappe.

Mbappe is expected to complete a move to Paris Saint-Germain, initially on loan, before the transfer window closes on Thursday.

Monaco have not yet made an official announcement on the deal for Jovetic, who has also played for Fiorentina and Manchester City.

Sources close to the principality club also revealed that Dendoncker, 22, will join from Anderlecht, following the path taken by his compatriot Youri Tielemans earlier this summer.

Dendoncker’s agent, who also represents Tielemans, met with representatives of Monaco and Anderlecht at a hotel in the principality last Thursday, the day of the draw for the Champions League group stage.

Earlier reports indicated that Monaco would pay 21 million euros ($25.2 million), not including bonuses, for Dendoncker. However, that fee would be lowered if Soualiho Meite moved in the other direction.

Midfielder Meite was bought by Monaco earlier this summer from another Belgian club, Zulte Waregem, for eight million euros.

Belgian midfielder Leander Dendoncker scores past Manchester United.

NO DEMBELE, NO PROBLEM

Borussia Dortmund wasted no time in signing Ukraine winger Andriy Yarmolenko on Monday – the same day Ousmane Dembele officially joined Barcelona.

“Andriy is a player who we have been following for a long time and who has been playing at a high level for both his club and country,” said Dortmund’s director of sport Michael Zorc.

The 27-year-old has signed a four-year deal after joining from Dynamo Kiev and reportedly cost Dortmund between 25 ($29.8m) and 30 million euros.

“I am very grateful that Dynamo have fulfilled my dream by allowing me to move to a big European team”, said Yarmolenko.

“I will work hard in every training session to help Borussia Dortmund reach their goals.” The transfer is funded by Dembele’s move to Barcelona which was confirmed on Monday in a deal set to be worth up to 147 million euros.

Yarmolenko had been at Dynamo since 2008, scored 137 goals in 339 matches and was voted Ukraine player of the year three times in a row between 2013 and 2015.

His signing comes after confusion reigned on Saturday when head coach Peter Bosz wrongly confirmed interest in Ajax’s Kasper Dolberg.

The Dutch coach misheard a question about the Danish forward from Sky pundit and ex-Germany international Christoph Metzelder before Dortmund’s 2-0 win against Hertha Berlin.

“We have to see if everything works. I think it will, but nothing is 100 percent sure,” Bosz replied, but the club later revealed the Dutch boss thought he was being asked about Dembele’s transfer.

Dortmund are doing well without Dembele and Yarmolenko will have to fight for a place.

They have won both league games so far to top the Bundesliga table on goal difference from defending champions Bayern Munich with US international Christian Pulisic impressing in Dembele’s place on the right wing.

NEWCASTLE NIGHTMARE OVER

Dutch international Siem de Jong ended his injury-plagued three-year spell at Newcastle United on Monday by re-signing for Dutch giants Ajax, the English club announced.

The 28-year-old attacking midfielder — who suffered a collapsed lung and a ruptured thigh muscle among other injuries after moving to England for £6million (6.4m euros, $7.7m) in 2014 — joins French striker Emmanuel Riviere in being moved on by Magpies manager Rafael Benitez.

De Jong made just 26 appearances for Newcastle and spent last season on loan at PSV Eindhoven.

Spaniard Benitez hopes that by off-loading players he will be allowed to bring in new faces before the transfer window closes on Thursday.

“Siem de Jong has completed a permanent transfer to Dutch side Ajax,” read the Newcastle statement.

“The 28-year-old returns to the Amsterdam Arena, where he made over 200 appearances before signing for the Magpies in the summer of 2014.” Benitez, who saw his side beat West Ham United 3-0 on Saturday to record their first win since returning to the Premier League, has also told, among others, Tim Krul, Achraf Lazaar, Grant Hanley and Jack Colback that they can leave.

Benitez has been engaged in a tussle with Newcastle’s controversial owner Mike Ashley over transfers during the close season, expressing his frustration at missing out on several targets.

RENNES CONFIRM CZECH STOPPER

Czech international goalkeeper Tomas Koubek has joined Rennes from Sparta Prague, the Ligue 1 outfit announced on Monday.

The 25-year-old was one of two players ordered to train with the Sparta women’s team last year for saying “women belong at the stove” after a decision against him by a female assistant referee.

Koubek, who has won four caps for the Czech Republic, replaces Benoit Costil, who left Rennes for Bordeaux earlier in the close season.

“I’m very happy and proud to be chosen as the Rennes number one in their search for a new keeper,” he said.

“In signing a long-term contract (four years), the club have shown me a lot of confidence. I will give my best.”

Tomas Koubek has completed his move to Rennes.

Originally published as Done Deal?! Bizarre leak hints at Mbappe move

Source: sports dailytelegraph

About Eric Tranter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*